The Story

The Rain City Relief Founding Story

“Rain City Relief was sparked by a simple idea: that the cannabis industry should be a force for good.”

Halfway through 2020, the team at The Reef, a cannabis retailer in Seattle with a history of community support initiatives, had just completed a project to save and restore Arcade Plaza pavement park as a green space on Capitol Hill.

“This opportunity to give back to the community got us thinking about what else we could do. We wondered if we could partner with different community-driven organizations to have a greater impact,” says Adam Simon, owner of The Reef.

Simon and employee Jesse Codling, both avid music fans, started brainstorming ways they could help Seattle artists whose professional careers had been stymied by the Covid-19 Pandemic.

The Introduction

“Jesse introduced me to Seth McDonald from the Seattle World Tour Foundation. Seth seemed to have his finger on the pulse of Seattle’s music scene. We got together and the idea to record a vinyl record compilation featuring Seattle’s breakout artists really appealed to everyone.”

After much discussion, the group decided that the best way to make a meaningful impact for these artists would be through direct financial contributions. That’s why 75% of the proceeds of the sale of the Rain City Relief Record will go directly to the 10 artists. The remaining 25% will go to the nonprofit Seattle World Tour Foundation’s artist relief fund.

This approach is possible because The Reef, with its partners Weedmaps and PAX, are underwriting all the costs associated with filming and recording each artist at MOB Studios and producing the vinyl record which will be available later this winter.

Simon says the initial plan was to approach a range of businesses to be sponsors. The only companies willing to step up were cannabis companies.

“We have found that cannabis business owners are community-minded and always willing to step up and offer support. Generally, cannabis companies have few opportunities to connect with consumers. Oftentimes they are more than happy to use their advertising dollars to do something good for the community.”

Giving back has always been part of The Reef’s ethos. From the start, the company has donated 5% of profits to community organizations year-round. At checkout, each customer is asked which organization they would like the profit from their purchase applied towards.

Simon and The Reef hope that Rain City Relief will introduce music lovers to great music and inspire the artist community in Seattle to collaborate more. Of course, the ultimate goal is to provide needed financial relief to the artists, so they can continue to do what they do best: make awesome music.

Simon says this project would not have been possible without the leadership of Seattle World Tour’s co-founder Seth McDonald and the vision of Jesse Codling from The Reef. “This is a great example of how local companies can make a huge impact on their communities by being creative and giving back.”

© Rain City Relief 2021. All Rights Reserved. Site Powered by Fondu

Produced by

contact us

info@raincityrelief.com

Supporters

PRODUCED BY

© Rain City Relief 2021. All Rights Reserved. Site Powered by Fondu

Supporters